Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Doug Cepluch Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:25:12 AM

Fellow disc golfer Doug Cepluch died in his sleep Friday night.  I think Doug was around 55.  Doug was an original club member and was one of the first disc golfer to open a disc store in the country.   Some of you may remember "Disc World" on Galbraith ave in college hill or Mt Healthy.  Doug had a very unique throw and only used 80's plastic.  I heard that he closed the store a few years back  but nothing since.  Visitation is tonight at Mt Healthy United Methodist Church at 6:00 pm.  It is on Perry st.  Doug was a cool guy.
discndat
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:39:17 AM

Really sad to hear that. I got my second golf disc at Disc World when they were over on Hamilton Ave. and bought many more there after that. Doug also was a sponsor of the early Course Challenges. I got a few gift certificates from Disc World when I first started. Hate to hear news like this. And then when someone is so young. Keep flying those frisbees in the sky Doug.
Madmike
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 12:24:29 PM

WOW I used to get my skateboards from there when i was young talked to him a many of time when they had skate demos there in the tiny parking lot that is sad he was still young
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:37:04 PM

I started shopping there in early 90's...  I bought skateboards, rollerblades and of course shoes from there too. I also bought my first disc from there.  I will never forget how much he said the word dude...  Sad to see anyone go at such an early age.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:32:39 PM

I went to the visitation on Monday night and it was an eye opening experience. Doug was my age and there are a few of you out there our age and believe it or not it could happen to you or me or anyone for that matter. Tom Forde and his wife Gretchen were there and we went out and had a bite to eat afterwords, talked about old times and thought that maybe we should plant a tree at Mt Airy in Doug's honor. A lot of you didn't know Doug but he actually started the monthly thing that turned into the course challeng series back in 1980something. Brent Newpport had a very nice eulogy for Doug. I will contact the parks to see if they can donate a tree and we will have some kind of ceremony once it warms up. Doug did have a huge impact on disc golf back in the "day". Cool "dude".
Jay Dub
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:26:33 AM

Thanks for the update, Fred. Doug was a big part of the growth of disc golf in this area back in the day. I also remember him running the New years day tournament at Winton. Was that his idea also? I remember thinking it was but I'm not sure. Doug was a cool dude and did what he enjoyed. Gone way too young.