Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc Golf at Dunham Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:44:27 PM

It's in the preliminary satges but I got a call from CRC that my persistence about putting disc golf at Dunham paid off.  I am meeting with them in January about about working with the archers and putting an 18 hole course.  More later.
vizi25
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:17:37 AM

thats awesome to hear of another potential course where is dunham
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:39:08 AM

Its on the west side of cincinnati on an old golf course. Can u say roller?
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:09:25 PM

Sounds like an interesting prospect. Hopefully it all works out.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:54:44 PM

well an old ball golf course means one of two things or both big bomber holes and water hazards good stuff
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:51:50 PM

Dunham was a small, basically par three golf course. There were a few holes that as they were, I thought might be a good DG hole. Others would be semi boring. A new course in the center of the city is a win whether hard or easy.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:22:19 PM

CRC has approved disc golf for Dunham. Waiting on funding. Should be in by Spring. Tee pads will more than likely be rubber mats, at least until they see how much play the course will get. Tony, Dunham has quite a bit of elevation which will help make it interesting. I don't see any boring holes at all. And, I will be able to use the rest of the park, if needed as well.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:00:38 PM

The course will be installed by spring? Or the funding?
Jowsepi
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:33:41 PM

I would love to see some unique baskets here. Elevated ones, hanging one, one partially in the ground, just different ideas.
902boland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:45:35 AM

T_Vincent wrote:
Dunham was a small, basically par three golf course. There were a few holes that as they were, I thought might be a good DG hole. Others would be semi boring. A new course in the center of the city is a win whether hard or easy.

Fred is designing the course....no worries about anything boring. 
Way to go Fred!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 10:52:50 PM

Just wanted to do an update on the Dunham Disc Golf course. I have finished with the design and measurement of the course. Total distance from long tees to long pins is 6506, which averages to 361 ft per hole. Short tees(known golf as the "Ladies Tees") to short pins will be 4976 ft(avg 276 ft). Tee sign posts are up(thanks go out to Mad Mike and Joe Goodale for their help), tee signs will be ready by end of next week, baskets will be ordered this week. Tee pads will be 2 driving range mats(heavy duty astro turf)put together. They work great and should be done by next week, weather permitting. Wind will play a big factor at this course . I find it fun and challenging with lots of booming holes. Longest hole is 580 ft(2 holes over 500 ft). Shortest is 221.
It was a challenge to put this thing together because of the openness of the course but I think I used about every tree possible to make it challenging and fun. One of the down falls of this course is having to squeeze 18 holes into the property so players will have to keep an eye on errant throws throughout the course.

PLEASE DO NOT GO OUT AND THROW ON THIS COURSE TILL IT IS COMPLETE, - THE BASKETS WILL NOT BE GOING IN UNTIL ALL THE REST OF THE COURSE IS COMPLETE....
If anyone is interested in helping you can TEXT me at 859 630 4142 serious inquiries only(leave your discs at home).
The Cincinnati Recreation Commission is NOT accepting tee sign sponsors at this time,odd I know.
More info as it becomes available.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:18:52 AM

Keep up the great work Fred...
Before I ask the guys at the next meeting, I know they will want to know
A) if the club donates to CRC @Dunham will they allow some type of sign or something to show the Club's info and stuff?
B)Will this be a pay to play course?
C) How are they funding this if they are not taking sponsorships?

Thanks bus, seeya around...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:18:23 AM

Adam, im not sure if they want to make it pay to play or not. It will not be ptp when it opens. I will ask them about sponsorship. Maybe they will let the club sponsor the course map. They have a budget for the course but its not much. They are moving money around to cover costs. The tee pads will be 2 driving range mats layed together.They will be flush to the ground so will work surprisingly well. They have their own sign department and I am donating some left over sign material that I have for the tee signs.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 3:42:27 PM

Adam, I just got an email from CRC and it said, "I do not want to pursue sponsorship at this time". So, I will let you know if they change their mind. Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 2:50:44 PM

A few of us are getting together at Dunham to dig out tees for the turf matts on Saturday, 3ish. I work till 3 but will be there after work. Bring a flat spade and wheelbarrow if you have one and can make it. Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 10:39:34 PM

A great big THANK YOU to Bob Herbert, John Rushulte(JERU) Joe Goodale (Bryant and Jessica) and Shawn Marsh for all the hard work done at Dunham today. Each one of you will get an Innova team disc for their hard work today. I rented a sod cutter and they did all the hard work to get the tee pads ready for the mats which will be laid real soon. Thanks gentlemen. Your efforts are much appreciated.
discwarrior
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:53:06 PM

Are you working on the course tomorrow fred
discwarrior
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:53:23 PM

I can help after 3
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:20:10 AM

Fred Salaz wrote:
A great big THANK YOU to Bob Herbert, John Rushulte(JERU) Joe Goodale (Bryant and Jessica) and Shawn Marsh for all the hard work done at Dunham today. Each one of you will get an Innova team disc for their hard work today. I rented a sod cutter and they did all the hard work to get the tee pads ready for the mats which will be laid real soon. Thanks gentlemen. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Thanks for the hard work guys. As someone who used to do that kind of work I can appreciate how hard it really is, especially if you're not used to it. I look forward to seeing this course when completed. 
Jowsepi
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:28:27 AM

Any updates on when it will open?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:25:59 PM

Baskets should be delivered next week. Still waitting on more tee mats. Sleeves will be in in a couple of weeks. Should be ready to play in a month
alex.e
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2014 11:47:23 AM

I see that this course is on DGcoursereview.com now. Is it open for play?
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 5:06:19 PM

First, congratulations to Fred and all the volunteers. I got out to play Dunham today, after seeing it was up on DGCR, and saw at least four groups of players out there, as well as spoke to two groups. This was on a Monday morning before lunch hour. I think you've got a popular course on your hands!
Second, the rolling terrain, existing trees, and roll-away knolls really do keep the interest level up. Nice design! It's not going to press the advanced or open guys, but casual, rec & intermediate will find a lot to like.
Finally, apologies if I overstepped my bounds, but I did pace off the distances, took pics and sketched a first draft map for DGCR, so folks can get a preview, and find their way around the first time.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 10:03:48 PM

Was also out to Dunham for the first time today. I've got to say, even in its current state its a fun course. Its nice once in awhile to not have to throw tunnel shots all round, lol. Elevation change and baskets tucked on the edge of fall aways, are the prominent challenges for this course. Well done Fred.
Troy
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:45:11 AM

Jeff, is it Troy friendly?