Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Williamsburg Options
alex.e
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:46:04 PM

a tree recently fell right in front of the basket on hole 8. i broke off all the big branches to uncover the basket but the trunk still remains (i'm guessing it's still there, this was on monday). I am willing to clean up the rest if anyone has a chainsaw for use. While I'm on the topic I was also thinking about looking into the cost to install teepads, similar to osage, on the back nine, since the flypads are already in place. I also was wondering if the option of trying to get the local boy scout troop involved with the course has been explored. I'm sure it would qualify for some sort of merit badge and would get more involvement in course clean up. Plus a great way to introduce more people to the sport. I know a lot of time and effort is focused on osage and alexandria right now, so i don't expect a lot of people to be interested in this sort of project, buti thought maybe some of my fellow east siders would be interested in helping. I don't really think the course needs that much work to achieve a couple upgrades that would really elevate the quality of the course. That is all lol.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:00:35 PM

it would be nice to have some sort of stairs on the downhill hole before the course challenge. i think that would help pace of play cuz you know there is gonna be a log jam there. at least it should be dried out by then so it shouldnt be to dangerous if its not done. it would also be nice if at some point they replace all the old baskets 6 or 7 of them are so different from the rest its kinda frustrating
alex.e
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:33:13 PM

yea i hear you on the baskets. I forgot about the steps, thats another thing that could be added cheaply, just takes some labor.
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:33:54 PM

I'd definitely be up for helping out a little at a time, especially on some steps, if I knew what I was doing. If someone with experience would just mark off flights & landings, then put in a step or two I could copy, I'd probably be willing to add a stair or two every time I play through. ...or something. Get a handful of folks to do the same, and voila! --Jeff
alex.e
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:39:20 PM

we have two options for stairs, we could actually build a staircase and pour concrete footers which would be expensive and time consuming. The other option would be to use 4x4's and rebar to keep it in place. While option two would eventually need replacing in a few years (i.e. steps from hole 13 to 14 at banklick) it would be a lot cheaper and easier. I am willing to spend some of my own money on supplies but wouldn't be able to cover all costs (i am a broke college student after all lol) but since i play this course at least once if not 2 or 3 times a week (literally 5 minutes from my house) i would love to put some time and money into making the course a little more polished. Also stairs going up from hole 9 to 10 wouldn't be a bad idea.
alex.e
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:57:50 PM

I have begun the pricing process, now just need a trip over to burg with the tape measure to get a better idea of how much wood is needed. I'll post an update with total cost estimates and what those costs would be for and hopefully be able to guage how much interest in helping is out there, other than Jeff or Brutus. Also I am going to look into how to contact the local scout troop today.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:59:54 PM

hey troy maybe we can figure out a way to raise some money through the thursday dubs maybe take a dollar per player per week or something im sure the guys that play there every week wouldnt mind seeing some new baskets though im sure the park people would have some say on that
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 2:25:23 PM

If one of you guys would go to a club meeting and propose your improvements to the club they would probably help with cost of materials. They(the club) have been very generous and helpful with course improvements in the past. Send a rep to the meeting, it won't hurt.
We also have a course improvement fund here at The Nati and can help out as well. Will need receipts.
How about rock steps? If rocks are available that is.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 4:26:19 PM

i dont know if its illegal or not to get rock out of the river but when the river is down there is tons of rock right down the hill from that hole

i also plan on joining the club at some point soon so i will be a a meeting in the near future
alex.e
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 4:33:24 PM

The river that runs next to the course would be able to supply a lot of rocks, although i don't know how many we could take from there. I tried to measure the hill yesterday but it was way too muddy to try and do anything but get up and down the hills in one piece.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 4:37:09 PM

Also i would like to discuss some potential minor changes to the course, either moving the tee or installing a second tee on hole 11 a little to the right and a litte further back (you can tell people throw from here). Also the removal of 2 small trees on hole 10 that would actually give the hole a little bit of a fairway. I'm sure that kind of stuff would need approval from the town but didn't know if it needed approval from the club or not. I know the meetings are once a month, 1st monday of the month?
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 4:40:22 PM

i think what needs to be done is boards cut into the ground then back filled with small rocks kinda like the climb to 17 at lincoln ridge could do one or two each time you(I) are there just need some wood handy andthe river to go down lol there is a large rock bar right off no8 when the river is down
alex.e
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 5:12:55 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 5:17:44 PM

my friend has a bunch of old boards but he has no way to haul them from his house in sharonville area he had been trying to give them to the goshen guysfor bridge decking but they may work for this too

just got a message from him sounds like he's got an entire deck thats been removed
alex.e
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 6:03:12 PM

I might be able to arrange a way to get them from there to this area. I'm guessing a trailer would need to be used?
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 7:33:44 PM

could probly do it with a pick up if you have access to one his name on here is discgolfnut if you want to pm him
Discgolfnut
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:39:55 AM

That's right DGenerates, I have some old decking lumber that may be of use for area course projects. Various lengths of 2x4s, 2x6s , 2x8s, and 4x4s available. Would drive them out to the burg or elsewhere but my truck is out of commission at this time.
alex.e
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:22:15 PM

sounds great. I think one of us eastsiders should be able to come pick stuff up, clermont county is truck capital usa lol.
Discgolfnut
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:43:24 AM

let me know and we will make arrangements for the lumber ..
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:05:20 AM

ok so i'm having a little trouble finding a person with a truck who will let me borrow it and has another car they can drive in the meantime. But, uhaul has a pick-up truck available for 19.95 plus .59 a mile. Anyone interested in contributing a few bucks to the cause?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:18:03 AM

Why don't u cut them on site and haul them in your car. They should only be about 2 ft long if making steps.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:24:53 AM

Are you guys in contact with Troy Ison? He is the liaison between the club and Parks department and out of respect should be the first person you contact with any projects at this course. Hope you all can work together and get these projects underway, glad to see more people getting involved.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 12:19:08 PM

ive had talks with troy informaly over the last year about getting some steps in there and frankly id figured he'd a thrown his two cents worth in on here by now so troy if your out there let us know what you think
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:43:46 PM

for the steps that wouldn't be a bad idea but for the framing for the teepads i would need more than a car to haul 4x4's
Troy
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:26:44 PM

I have been reading this thread and am excited about the energy and ideas for the course. I have been waiting for the weather to break to get started on the course. We do have to get permission to make any changes to the course but as far as clean up we have a go. The steps for the hill is a priority and will take some man hours to complete. I would like to set up a work day this Sunday (March 9th) if I can get some interest. PM me if you are interested in working on Sunday starting at 10:00 am. Thank you for your help.