Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincy doubles and rigid minds. Options
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:52:07 PM

Oh gee sandalless...
Dawgii
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:46:50 PM

Ummm, I thought the point was to play disc golf. Honestly who cares how it gets done as long as it gets done. The whole point of an organizer, is so that they can figure out the boring stuff. I much rather be focused on rip'n discs and sink'n putts. GAME ON!
soundmind
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:44:58 PM

Flipping disc is fastest easiest and most common way to pick doubles unless your in Cincinnati which has always been about 10 years behind everyone else , but you would think that would have changed sense the world wide interweb
soundmind
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:45:52 PM

Flipping disc is fastest easiest and most common way to pick doubles unless your in Cincinnati which has always been about 10 years behind everyone else , but you would think that would have changed sense the world wide interweb
gw0904
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:08:42 PM

finnhawc wrote:
Greg, let us say there were 1 head & 5 tails: the one head would be waiting for an odd man from the rest of the 5. The variations aren't that vast. " In mathematics, when X is a finite set of at least two elements, the permutations of X (i.e. the bijective mappings from X to X) fall into two classes of equal size: the even permutations and the odd permutations. If any total ordering of X is fixed, the parity (oddness or evenness) of a permutation of X can be defined as the parity of the number of inversions for σ, i.e., of pairs of elements x,y of X such that and . The sign or signature of a permutation σ is denoted sgn(σ) and defined as +1 if σ is even and −1 if σ is odd. The signature defines the alternating character of the symmetric group S n . Another notation for the sign of a permutation is given by the more general Levi-Civita symbol ( ), which is defined for all maps from X to X, and has value zero for non-bijective maps. The sign of a permutation can be explicitly expressed as sgn(σ) = (−1) N(σ) where N(σ) is the number of inversions in σ. Alternatively, the sign of a permutation σ can be defined from its decomposition into the product of transpositions as sgn(σ) = (−1) m where m is the number of transpositions in the decomposition. Although such a decomposition is not unique, the parity of the number of transpositions in all decompositions is the same, implying that the sign of a permutation is well-defined. [1]" 'Na I mean?

Oh, now I get it - I forgot toconsider the non-bijective maps. 

Well played, John.
Old Bassman
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:31:41 PM

soundmind wrote:

Mark Twain wrote about  that ....
soundmind
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:52:33 AM

Twain did write that on the net and it still took 10 years for it to get 2 cincinn
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 9:57:15 AM

Sometimes it is difficult to make a pair of dimes shift.

To Dawgii: Yes, the course is for playing Disc. This forum is for Discourse and is the best place to try to get ideas tossed around.

Flip pros & cons: Pros= 1.everybody has a disc, sometimes no mini 2. Everybody can join in the random number generation, more random (stats 101) 3. When flipping begins all must be present and ready to go 4. Once people get used to it the format it becomes way quicker- in Michigan we often had over 30 at our weekly events (no Ace fund caps) and it never took longer than 2 minutes to pick all teams AND break into groups. 5. Flipping is fun! 6. When new players jump into an exp. group they get the idea quickly. 7. Flippin' A, man!

Flip cons: 1. Not common (only) around here; so, very misunderstood ( old schoolers excepted) 2. Sometimes you gotta flip more than you'd like. 3. hmm possible roll-aways?
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 10:31:48 AM

Drawing minis or cards Pros & Cons:

Pros: 1. Gives people a Keno thrill waiting for the draw. 2. No damage to Discs hitting the brutal ground. 3.It is the normal around here. 4. It is fairly straightforward

Cons: 1. It takes to long- up to 15 mins from begining to end (large groups like the Jay/Des Reading dubs) 2. When choosing Cali (odd # of players) if the solo draw doesn't want to play redraw=time waste 3. Minis tend to be different sizes and shapes providing less randomness and too often repeat partners week to week 4.It takes time to draw each mini, identify the owner and get it back to them( I've had minis lost this way also) 5. One at a time drawing reduces randomness 6. It is boring. 7. Some folks won't play card drawn events at all, reducing prize pool. 8. SMH
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 10:32:56 AM

Man I need a spellchecker on this phone...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:37:22 PM

If running late we can put a mini in for you if you call. Can't do that if you flip.
That Cali thing doesn't seem right if you ask someone to volunteer to be their own partner before the drawing, not random enough.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:06:11 PM

No, Fred, I'm saying you first ask who wants to be Cali- all that want to then flip for it. This eli minates the need to draw then ask 'do you want to be your own partner?'

As to running late, I've always said don't wait myself. Up North we started 5 minutes late each time just for traffic allowance. Flipping takes 2-3 minutes total start to finish. Drawing minis from collecting them, draw, and redistribution takes quite a bit longer. I submit it takes longer just drawing for 20 teams out of minis than it would to flip for 40 teams. Done it MaceMan Dubs -Where are you, Brian?